Multipotentialites and Mental Health
“One of the most stifling challenges for multipotentialites is the self-doubt we sometimes experience living in a world that doesn’t recognize our strengths (or even our existence). We can be our own worst enemies. We put our ideas down. We second-guess ourselves. We let the fear of being judged keep us stuck in careers that no longer serve us and identities that no longer fit.“
— Emilie Wapnick, How to Be Everything
Growing up in a specialist-centric culture can take a toll on the self-esteem and mental health of multipotentialites.
Of course, not all multipotentialites struggle with mental health issues. Some of us grow up in supportive homes where our broad curiosity is encouraged. But, even if we had the most supportive upbringing in the world, it’s very easy to internalize the ubiquitous societal message that specialization is the only path to success.
At Puttylike, we try to reframe the negative messages we’ve internalized about ourselves and our plurality. In so doing, we address some of the anxiety, self-doubt and other mental health challenges that can arise when one feels unseen in the world.
Here are some of our best articles about multipotentialites and mental health:
- Self Care for Multipotentialites: Advice from the Puttylike Community
- What If There’s Nothing Wrong With You?
- When Depression Gets in the Way of Your Multipotentiality
- “Help! My Multipotentialite Partner is Stressing Me Out!”
- How to Deal with a Mean and Chatty Inner Critic
- The Reluctant Multipotentialite: What to Do When You Feel Like a Master of None
- 12 Myths About Multipotentialites and Affirmations to Overcome Them
- How to Deal with the Fear of Being “Too Complex”
- How Do I Know if I’m a True Multipotentialite?
- How to Deal with Imposter Syndrome
- When You’re a Multipotentialite with Chronic Illness…
- The Ultimate Guide to Dealing with Friends and Family Members who Disapprove of Your Multipotentiality
And here’s our whole archive of articles about mental health, going back to 2010.
Need more support?
Totally normal! This is a tough one.
Thankfully, our Puttyverse community is an amazing resource to help with multipotentialite insecurities, fears and self-doubt. There’s nothing quite like being among hundreds of other people like you, who understand the challenges of having multiple passions and want to help lift you up. Come check us out here.
If you’re in crisis or struggling with a more serious mental health issue, here’s a list of international crisis lines. Please take care. <3